Monday, August 24, 2009

Personal Game Database

In my last post, I listed a few goals for my game.

1) As White. I need to stick with 1. e4 and will try the Giuoco Paino.
2) As Black, KID and the Pirc will be were I'm looking. It is hard to fully blunder these games away in 10 moves because Black develops very slowly.
3) I'm going to look over all the games that I can find that were played by GM Sokolsky.

Since then, I have made progress on steps one and two. I played 1.e4 each time as White and as Black, each of my games began 1. e4 e5, so I haven't had a chance to play the KID. However, I haven't started on my third goal. I should also add that I have not lost a game since this however, I have only played two OTB games and both against weaker players. In one of these games I even dropped a rook but did so late enough in the game that I was up and had a winning end-game position.

So, this post is going to be about my third goal. I initially thought to download and look at games that have been played by a strong Grand Master and I selected GM Sokolsky because my favorite opening as White is 1. b4 (which you will notice is one that I'm not playing because it doesn't help with a chess players overall understanding of basic openings.) So, instead of looking at this, I have spent the time of putting of my games that I have played in a PGN file. These would be all of the games that I have played since the middle of 2008 when got back into chess. So, I entered this into a PGN file and downloaded a viewer that also allows me to annotate these games in one place.

It took me a while to get this database up and running, and I had to contact a few of my opinions for their copy of the game because my annotation was a bit weak, but I have it now complete. So, right now, instead of going over GM games, I think it is more vital for me to go over the games that I actually do. Then, I think I will look for some games. But again, I'm not sure if just picking a GM and going over their games is the best solution. So, right now I'm going to think of what I can do to find the right games to review in the time that I have.

Well, that is what I have for now. I should add, that I'm going to try and find a way to post my entire PGN database of my games so anyone who wants to see them can review the them.

Have fun all, and good luck in your games.

No comments:

Post a Comment