Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Karpov on Karpov

I am a believer that great chess players are not made by memorizing opening books, memorizing endgame theory and practicing tactical situations. I believe that these skills help improve a good player but I think there is more.

I have recently found "Karpov on Karpov, Memoirs of a Chess World Champion" by Anatoly Karpov. In this book, Karpov breaks down his life and his chess and does it on a level that anyone can easily read. He hits on a number of topics that made him a great player and identifies problems associated with other top players that he identified and was able to use against them over the board.

I won't say that everyone should learn to be like a great player. I don't think what worked for Karpov, or Fisher or Spaasky will work for anyone else. But I do think there is something to chess that goes beyond the basic movements of the game. There is something associated with the human element that makes this game really exciting.

I will admit that there are a fixed number of moves that can be made. (Given that number is so huge it might as well be unlimited except that in the future I'm sure we will have computers that can list them all and decided which is best.) I believe that even with a fixed number of moves there is still an art form to it. There is something beyond the standard placements of the pieces that really make chess special. Perhaps I say this only because this is game I love but who knows, maybe there is something to it.

I just believe that in his self reflection, Karpov not only tells us about his life, but he also teaches us about chess. I recommend this book to everyone, even non-chess players as it still has lessons that can be adapted to most situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment