Monday, May 11, 2009

Gary Kasparov, Unlimited Challenge

So, I finished reading about Karpov then picked up the book on Kasparov.

Just reading their autobiographies you can feel the difference between these two individuals. How they operate, how they see their own chess and how they interact, even with each other. And of course, it is always interesting to see the different point of views on the same subject. Between these we see the world champion matches from each of their own perspectives and wow are they different.

in readings these though, I was looking for a deeper understanding in chess and I think I came back to something that I saw in the the movie "Searching for Bobby Fisher". I never believed that chess excellence was every something that could be made from a cookie cutter. There isn't some recipe that will teach someone to be a great player. I think you have to be born with something. Maybe the way people think and their mental affiliation to the game is what is required. In each of their own words, these two great players tell us how they always loved chess even before they knew the rules.

But like was said in the movie, you have to be who you are. Everyone has their own style and trying to copy some else isn't going to get it done. Trying to be Bobby Fisher by playing his games and understanding his moves will not make you better or equal to Bobby Fisher. Understand Karpov's and Kasparov's games will not make you a world champion either. There are so many different components to the game so may different ideas and though process. There is a personality to the game. Everyone who touches a piece has their own personality. The key to unlocking chess is understanding your own personality, well and playing hard.

I wish I knew my personality. But I guess this process that I'm on is, in part, to discover my own personality. Chess is life, well, maybe not is life but it is something.

No comments:

Post a Comment