Friday, April 10, 2009

Where to Begin

Sometimes the most difficult thing to do is to figure where you start. How to develop the plan of action. I think this is important in the learning process but also in general. I'm sure "evaluating the plan" will become a reoccurring theme as I get better and grow.

But right now, I think that I need to evaluate where I am and then determine how to move forward. This has to be the most difficult thing to do mainly because I'm not the best player so it is hard for me to figure out what I'm doing wrong. But with any situation we can only try our best.

I have looked over a number of games that I have played and I have mental reviewed my thoughts that I had while playing these games and I have come up with a number of weakness that I need to focus on:

1. Opening theory
2. Endgame abilities
3. Tactics
4. Review of fundementals (I think I have a solid understand but I need to always practice these).
5. Understand how to develop a plan of action in a game.

The first two items are easy to understand. My opening theory is weak with my deepest understand being that of the Sokolsky (1. b4). And two weeks ago I drew a tournment game becuase of my poor endgame knowledge. I had the win but didn't see the standard concepts to make it happen.

Tactics is probaby going to be the most difficult part for me to learn on myself. I'm going to have to review some books on the topic and try to find the best way to challenge myself. I have a lot fo work to do here.

The last two items, I'm going to have to hold off on. I believe that I need to have a good understand of the first three items before I can really work on these last two. After all, how is one to develop a long ranged plan if they don't understand the goals of their opening or the structures that win endgames or how to leverage the tactics to make the pieces flow the way they need them to.


To address the the opening theory, I'm going to look at my opening as white. I'm currently playing 1.e4 and I think this is a good place for me to begin my study. I'm going to have to find a solid responce to 1. e4 e5 (probaby the Ruy Lopez), 1. e4 d5 (not sure what to select as yet) and 1e4 c4 (I have a terrible time playing the Scilion and I will need some work here.

For the endgame theory, I have a library book that does an amazing job of this. "Silman's Complete Endgame Course" by Jeremy Silman (ISBN: 1-890085-10-3). I have to return this book soon, so I'm going to have to make it a point to purchase it.

In addition to this, I'm still going to be playing my tournment games so I'm going to make it a point to review every game in detail with-in a week of playing it. I think this is a timeline that I should be able to handle.

Well, now that I have an idea on attacking my goal, its time to get to work.

2 comments:

  1. I've played a little Chess. To get good at it takes so much time. I'm impressed with good players, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    I completely agree, it does take a lot of time. But when I finished my Master's degree up last June my wife kept telling me that I need to get a hobby. As one might guess school takes up a huge amount of time and I suddenly found myself with all this extra time.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is that every hobby that someone might chose is going to take time. Fishing, cars, basketball, video games, etc. So, I decided that my main hobby is going to be chess and to be honest, so far it hasn't been a really expensive hobbie for me either.

    So, time is always an issue and sometimes the limiting factor but I'm also setting my goals as an Expert not a Master so I think I should be able to accomplish that.

    Good luck to you though...and I appreciate the comment.

    ReplyDelete